Welcome to the second edition of In The Bag!
In The Bag #2 – Week 45
- vSAN 6.5 Licensing Guide
The vSAN 6.5 Licensing Guide is now available, worth noticing is that All Flash (but not compression/dedup and RAID5/6) is now available in the Standard edition. Also nice to see that the new iSCSI Target Service is also included in Standard.
- Continuous Network Monitoring With Slack Alerting
You may have noticed that I’ve got a bit mad with my own Slack channel alerting, but Jerry Gamblin has taken it even further with automated nmap scanning as well. Nice job!
- The difference between VM Encryption in vSphere 6.5 and vSAN encryption
Duncan has posted this nice clarification on the differences between VM Encryption and the upcoming vSAN encryption feature (it’s in the current beta, not in the upcoming 6.5 release). This clarification was needed, these two are not the same.
- Setting Up External Access To A Veeam SureBackup Virtual Lab
SureBackup is one of the finer features in Veeam Backup & Replication, and Jim Jones goes through how to configure it correctly.
- GitHub for Newbies – Boston VMware User Group
Great presentation by Jonathan Frappier explaining both what Git is, but also why it’s important to know it. As someone who recently did his maiden Github pull request, I can relate to this.
- vExpert 2017 Applications are Now Open
The first round of vExpert applications for 2017 are now open, so if you want to be considered get your application in today.
- Justin Parisi showed the new NetApp TechONTAP sticker 2.0 on Twitter the other day. Look nice, but when you really look at it — well, it might not be as nice after all. Note to everyone designing stuff like this, please look at it properly. I know it’s supposed to be a headset, but once you see it differently…
- BBC showed the first episode of Planet Earth II this week, and all I have to say is wow. The filming done in the first episode is just incredible! Check out Iguana vs Snakes and tell me you’re not impressed.
- Canada and Denmark Fight Over Island With Whisky and Schnapps
Good time, but I’ll take the Whisky any day, sorry my Danish friends.
This is a TV Series by Viceland, each episode goes through an aspect of cyberwarfare. So far 10 episodes has been aired, and I recommend it. Not for the technical merit, but more for the insight of people host Ben Makuch talk to.
That’s it for this week, a new one is in the works for next friday