Considering it’s mid-january 2017 already, it’s time to do my annual goal list for the new year.
My goals for 2017:
- Get that VCAP6-DCV Design exam out of the way — I did the beta in march 2016, but missed the mark by a small margin.
- AWS Associate Certifications — Not sure how many of the three exams I want to do yet, but I’m going to at least give the AWS Certified Solutions Architect exam a go.
- Learn something new — This ties into the previous goal a bit, but I will try to allocate time to learning something new every month. Some times it might be tech, some times it might be soft skills. I’ve purchased a few Udemy courses with this in mind already.
- Attend an industry conference — Most likely VMworld Barcelona in September.
- Continue to build the SDDC practice at Proact — The foundations laid in 2016 were awesome. 2017 is the year we have to start executing and delivering on it.
- vNinja.net — Keep posting whenever I feel like it, but try to keep the “In the Bag“-series going.
- Photography — Take up photography as a hobby again, I’ve been quiet on that front for quite a while and I miss the creative outlet it provides. With upcoming trips to Liverpool (Liverpool FC vs Arsenal) in march, Radiohead concert in Oslo in June, and the Secret Solstice festival on Iceland also in June, there should be plenty of opportunities in 2017.
I also have a few other personal goals for 2017 that are not listed here, but I’ll keep myself accountable for those as well. Some of them were posted in my 2016 review post:
- I need to get better at planning things out, not just adding a todo item and think that somehow magically makes you more productive. Having a lot of todo items doesn’t really help, unless you plan out how to accomplish them. This is one thing I aim on improving in 2017; breaking bigger tasks into smaller ones to make them manageable and attainable.
- Clearer focus. This is a continuation of the previous point, but must get better at channeling energy into the tasks at hand, not on everything all at once. Set up time slots, and use them.
- Get more sleep. I sleep way to little, and that needs to change drastically.
So, bring it on 2017. I think I’m ready for my closeup now.